Thursday, May 3, 2012

Disneyland from a wheels point of view?

Disney and Fibromyalgia?

As some of you know I recently visited Disneyland with a group of Moms. No Kids.

First...if some of you feel jealous let me assure you that even though it was fun, the thrill of sharing Disneyland with your child is always better than going grown ups only.

Secondly, and on to my actual post....I rented a mobility scooter for my visit to ensure I would be able to get around for the day. Let me tell you, the walk from the car to the rental site was likely close to a mile and that was with accessible parking.

After an additional 30 minutes in line to rent my scooter for the price of $50.00 with an additional $20.00 deposit, I was on my way in to the park.

Let the dirty looks begin..............

I found throughout the day that people were extremely quick to judge. Smirks, passing comments, and the hopping right in my direct path was something I quickly had to ignore in order to enjoy my paid admission.

Daytime at Disneyland was a snap to drive around. While the first few rides we visited received a bit of damage from my inability to turn the scooter around, the park in itself is quite easy to navigate.

Taking the train to get around is not advised, as they only have one space for mobility needs and it was full for 3 trains that passed.
Shopping was a nightmare. I elected to park the scooter and walk in the shops. Prompting more sneers, but there was zero space in the shops. Dining at the Blue Bayou was a bit strange. I was asked to park the scooter outside the restaurant and was not given any assistance navigating the very dark and cramped seating area. Dining options for those with allergies were minimal and is not advisable based on the high price of the food. 
Once we headed over to the area of fireworks, I became quickly trapped. Pinned in and had to wait out the show, once the show began I had to ask repeatedly for taller people to stop stepping in front of me.

For your children's sake...see the fireworks from anywhere but the viewing area.

Once night fell, It became clear that the Disneyland park was not for those in scooters. One way traffic is a mess to drive though but my determination to beat the rush at the return counter for wheelchairs paid off. After a day of bobbing and weaving, I ditched my friends and at a top speed of 3 mph I raced to the return counter with no line at all. By the time I unloaded the basket on the scooter the line was 15 people deep.


Let me assure you I had an absolute blast. Exiting most of the rides would have been safer with a cane, but my peeps were always there to help me balance back to the chair.

Next....Disney Cruise to Alaska with my daughter.

There will be far more photos for that post

No comments:

Post a Comment